Because we deserve it.
Say what you want to about “celebrity pastors” who give the church a bad name, but I think it’s the worship leaders who make us all look silly.
I can’t be silent anymore. It’s time to speak out about the things worship leaders do that are dumb and should be stopped. You or someone you know suffers from “doing dumb worship leader things”. Please take this information to heart. It should also be stated that this post is for male worship leaders. While I know many women who lead worship, I don’t know any who actually read this blog or listen to the podcast. (Plus, female worship leaders don’t do as much stupid stuff as we do.)
I hate to start with something so obvious, but I think we all agree this tops the list of dumb things worship leaders do.
STOP DRESSING LIKE A GIRL
- Just because something is popular doesn’t mean you should do it. Sure, leading worship in a tapered faux-army jacket is fine, but where does it stop? What if “skirts for men” become a thing? You gonna’ rush to the mall and pick up some of those for next Sunday?
- I’ve never had a thin frame to flaunt, and I’m guessing there’s some measure of joy in it, but remember this. Age changes things. Those little t-shirts look way different with a gut hanging out.
- Unless everybody else on stage is also dressed like a sophmore tennis player from an all-girl college, you look really ridiculous next to the 46-year old guitar player in Levi’s and an untucked golf shirt. Sure, it makes you more prominent, but do we really need THAT?
- Don’t get me wrong, layers are really neat, but you can’t possibly be comfortable up there in front of the lights with that much stuff on. I mean, do we ever really need a knit cap on stage during worship?
- There’s no way to dress like “everyman”, but why not aim for the middle a bit? Dressing like Zooey Deschanel alienates everybody dude.