Back with another batch of things that drive me crazy. I’m a little less grumpy this week since the new record was released, but it turns out that church world is still just as baffling and weird.
Debate is a good thing. Somewhere in the worship culture we’ve decided that every new album is good, all sermons are theologically sound and there are no bad worship songs.
I don’t submit these little rants for the sake of venting (although it helps.) I do it because some stuff is great and some stuff isn’t. And it should be talked about.
– One of the hardest parts of making a worship album is that you have virtually no way to know if those songs are being utilized by other churches. (Which should be the point of writing worship songs, right?)
– I’ve always wished that radio stations and worship podcasts would structure their shows like a worship service…literally choose songs that would walk us through a liturgy of worship. With scriptures mixed in for transition! That would be so cool!
– We don’t sing enough mission songs. I don’t sing enough mission songs. They’re out there. We just gotta’ be brave enough to do them.
– Senior Pastor is making me take off some Sundays in the Summer. I don’t like taking off when I don’t have a stable set of additional worship leaders. Makes me nervous to try and drum up folks to fill in.
– I’m preaching a wedding in a few weeks. And, YES, I’m a little freaked out.
– Bought a really cool pedal from Farmer Foot Drums this week. Really wanted to buy one of their tiny portable kick drums for small acoustic sets but since I don’t do many of those…
– Think I finally found a good site for cheap 9v battery purchases. We’ve had great luck with Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries, but the 9vs have been inconsistent.