Back with another batch of things that drive me crazy.
Debate is a good thing. Somewhere in the worship culture we’ve decided that every new album is good, all sermons are theologically sound and there are no bad worship songs.
I don’t submit these little rants for the sake of venting (although it helps.) I do it because some stuff is great and some stuff isn’t. And it should be talked about.
– Heard some of the darkest, most captivating songwriting in a long time. Jason Isbell (formerly of Drive-By Truckers) writes about addiction, loneliness and darkness unlike anybody I’ve ever heard. Not the most uplifting stuff, but I can’t get away from what a powerful songwriter this guy is.
– I’m out this Sunday, so we have somebody else filling in during the song service. I hate missing church, but I love no rehearsal!
– I find that I’m getting more picky about the music I listen to. Folks keep recommending new and upcoming artists and I usually hate it. Looks like somebody’s getting old, huh?
– Did a lot of work from home this week, so I wasn’t in the office much. Also found that I didn’t feel as “ranty” as normal. Coincidence?
– Man, can we pull back a bit on the gang vocals in modern music? (Looking at you, Mars Hill Music.)
– Feel really good about a couple co-writes I got going lately. Love writing with other folks because it takes the songs to new levels!