Ever wonder if you’ve got what it takes to be a worship leader?
OF COURSE, YOU HAVE.
Well, worry no more, friends. Because I’ve got a quick and easy list of questions that will help you decide if you ought to jump up there and lead some singing one day.
I can’t be responsible for what happens after you read this post, folks. There may be some of you that find yourself slap-dab in the middle of worship planning session after reading this post.
For those of you who realize you can’t cut it, don’t worry. Worship leading ain’t for everybody. But if you answer yes to at least five of these, well…you know what needs to happen next.
1. Do you enjoy answering vague questions that might also be threats? (“So, are you one of these ‘loud’ worship leaders?”)
2. Can you justify your musical choices on the fly when a band member suggests that you don’t know how to arrange music? (In the middle of rehearsal, mind you.)
3. Are you okay with strangers posting snide remarks on your website? (“If I bought you some clean blue jeans, would you wear them to church?”)
4. Can you still think about God’s grace and worth while two kids make out in the front row of the church during a youth rally? (It’s harder than you think.)
5. Are you willing to have an awkward discussion with someone who requests a specific song because it makes them feel closer to God? (Even if you think the song is terrible?)
6. Can you play a song strong and true when the musicians around you seem to have lost the ability to play music? (And/or read charts…)
7. When someone hands you a CD of classic rock songs with new Jesus-words, can you say “no way” and still be appreciative for the input? (You can put Jesus-words to anything, it seems.)
8. Can you stand confidently behind a crumbling sound board even though you’re clueless and the service is starting in four minutes? (“It’s probably just an EQ thing – we’ll be fine.”)
9. Can you willingly cut a song from your set because you’re taking time away from the preaching? (It’s okay. Hardly any worship leaders can do this.)
10. Can you show up to mid-week rehearsal with a smile when all you really want is to stay home and play XBox? (Not me…I’ve heard that some worship leaders play XBox. But, not, you know, me.)
Okay. Well, good luck on your worship leading journey. (Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!)
Worship leaders…what other questions would be good for this list?